Thursday, November 12, 2009

But what if the "same" is effective

As I continued my job search, determined to find a position that is a good fit, I had the opportunity to speak with a career coach today.

I sat in a room with 6 others and was taught how to put together the most effective resume to get it read. And I thought to myself, "Self, if you are going to have a resume that looks just like 6 other people, how many more are out there getting the same coaching?" I really want to differentiate myself, and I think being seen or heard from is way more important than being read about (as I type this in a blog to be read by others).

What I mean is that, and the career coach confirmed this, most companies don't hire someone they find out on a job board randomly, and most people report that they find their next job through their network.

So although I will apply some of the advice for my resume, the biggest take away for me today is that I really shouldn't waste my time putting my information out there on a random job board. Instead I will take those precious few moments to reach out to a professional contact I haven't talked to in a while or expand my groups on LinkedIn.

All the while I am contemplating moving out of the Account Management career tract and into the not-for-profit realm where my heart really lies.

All the best,
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment